Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The (second) best day of my life

As promised, here is an entire post dedicated to the historic meeting that occurred when we went to the Cowboys game. I got to meet (drum roll) Miles Austin! After spending the whole game letting everyone know how much I love him, we actually met. It was kismet. So here is how it happened:

I overheard some of the other people in the box talking about going down to the field after the game. Naturally I had to get my hands on some of these passes. I knew that it was a long shot that players would be down there after losing, but I had a feeling. My dad talked to one of the people in the box that worked for Bombardier and she said that after the first group went, they would give me their pass and then I could go down to the field.

I patiently waited until it was my turn and then went down to the field level with a couple of other guys. We were with a group of about five other people and I just followed them. We went through some double doors and stopped at the end of a hallway in front of another elevator. Let me just say, that growing up I loved the Houston Astros and I mean loved. From time to time my friends and I would wait for players to come before the game. Those experiences have given me an innate sense of when I am in the exact right spot, but maybe shouldn't be there.

My first clue that I was in the right spot was when I say a guy with a suitcase heading towards the elevators. How many people bring suitcases to football games? Answer: However many players are on the Cowboys roster. I have no idea who it was, but I knew he was a player. Then I saw Rob Ryan, or Jeff Bridges. This is when I started to get excited. I did see Tony Romo in the maintenance elevator, but I don't care about him, so it was whatever.

I started to talk to the other people who were down there with me and I realized that they were a family. We talked about my love for Miles because I like to share things like that with strangers. A security guard came by and told us if we weren't waiting for someone, we had to leave. This is when that family became my heroes. The father said that they were Orlando Scandrick's family and I just nodded like I was with them and it worked. The security guard left us alone and I knew I was going to make things happen.

My parents started calling me around this time telling me they wanted to leave. I begged for them to give me 10 more minutes. Then it happened. The elevator doors opened and there he was. I think my jaw dropped. I really don't remember exactly what happened, but I think I started yelling asking if I could take a picture with him. Smooth. He laughed because he was obviously won over by my charm. He said of course I could take a picture with him and I threw my camera at a girl that was waiting down there with us. He smelled like rainbows and unicorns and was so nice. There were sparks, just saying.

I still can't believe that after ALL my talking about Miles, that I actually got to meet him. Daniel and my parents didn't believe me. Thank the Lord for photo evidence. I love Miles and now I can talk about him like we're friends because we kind of are.



No comments:

Post a Comment