Monday, October 10, 2011

Happy fall, ya'll!

It is finally starting to feel like fall in the Panhandle! As much as I love summer, it has been nice to get a break from the heat. In order to celebrate the beginning of fall, a friend and I went to a local pumpkin patch and bought a truckload of pumpkins to decorate with. I have to admit, I felt a little crazy having pumpkins out when it was 90 degrees.

My biggest take-away from the pumpkin patch is that pumpkin picking is hard work. My past experiences with patches involved a hay ride to a field where pumpkins were pre-cut and just waiting to be loaded into your wagon. There was also apple cider and petting zoos. This pumpkin patch had none of those things.

It was really a working farm with tons of pumpkins planted in between corn fields. When we got there we were given a Gator, shears and gloves. I didn't realize how much manual labor I would be doing. We had to cut the pumpkins off the vine and load them into the Gator and my friend had her baby in a carrier strapped to her chest. I now get how field workers feel and perhaps why farmers drink so much. And let me tell you, those pumpkins aren't light.

The pumpkin patch

There was every type of pumpkin imaginable

Some of our haul


Back-breaking labor aside, it was a fun day and I am planning on going back next year. Plus, I think that our front porch looks super cute and I am very proud of my pumpkin-arranging skills.

The finished product!



No comments:

Post a Comment