Thursday, November 15, 2012

Recipe round up: sweets edition

Before I was pregnant, I was not much of a sweets eater.  I am a carb lover.  I've always said I would rather eat a plate of mashed potatoes than a piece of cake.  Well, all that changed during my pregnancy. I couldn't get enough sweets.  They were all I thought about and I had to have at least one serving of ice cream a day.

This new found love of sweets caused me to spend a lot of time exploring the sweets board on my Pinterest.  I tried many new recipes and I thought I would share my thoughts with you.  This way you can skip the bad and head straight for the good.




Sweet and Salty Candy Bar Blondies

Shockingly, I have been cooking since Beckett has arrived and last weekend, I even baked.  What could have motivated me to get so wild?  This recipe.  I give it an A+ (so does Daniel and my mom).  It was pretty easy and contains three different types of candy.  Apparently I am still hooked on sweets.



This is a very popular recipe in our part of the world.  I had never made it until this summer and let me tell you, it is easy.  There are only a handful of ingredients and it takes about 5 minutes to put together.  I give it an A.  It's not my personal favorite, but if you need a quick dessert for a group, this is a solid bet.



There was a lot of excitement when I made this recipe.  It was the Olympics opening ceremony and Jack's stitches started to bleed while I was waiting for the cookies to bake.  Maybe all the excitement tainted my experience with the cookies.  I give them a B-.  They were soft, too soft.  I like cookies with a little more firmness.  I was definitely disappointed because I love pumpkin and I love macadamia nut cookies.



I love this recipe.  Let me repeat, love.  We had this at a dinner at our local country club and I was hooked.  I lived near the Perrini Ranch restaurant and this recipe made me sad that I have never eaten there.  I give it an A++.  My one tip is to make sure you have a good loaf of sourdough bread.  We did not and had to use pre-sliced packaged bread and it wasn't quite the same.  It was almost too thin.



I like cake balls and this was my first attempt at making them.  They were a lot of work, but I think they were worth it.  Dipping them and not making a mess is a challenge and a half but one day I will figure it out.  I give this recipe an A and think it would be great for a party where you don't want to make a whole cake.



And speaking of cakes, meet the first real cake recipe I have ever attempted.  I've made box cakes before, but I had never made a cake from scratch until this beauty.  It was a lot of work and time consuming, but the results were so worth it.  I knew it was good when Daniel said he wanted to have it for his birthday cake next year.  Obviously this recipe is another A+.

And here are a few of the recipes that I plan on trying next.








I'll let you know how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment