Sunday, November 11, 2012

Savannah

It was important to both my husband and I to go on one last trip before Baby Brown arrived.  If you know me, you know that I am constantly planning my next vacation and will use just about any excuse to take one.  Having a baby seemed like the perfect reason.  This was our last trip where we could be completely worry-free and we decided to take full advantage.

My husband chose our destination.  We had been talking about taking a trip to Savannah for a while but I was actually leaning towards going to Chicago.  However, we wanted to go somewhere where we could relax and not feel like we were missing anything so Savannah seemed like the better fit.

It wouldn't be a Brown family trip without a horrible travel story.  Maybe it has more to do with the airline we always fly than us?  Our first flight was delayed and our flight from Houston to Savannah was cancelled.  By some miracle we got booked on the last flight of the day to Savannah.  Originally they told us that we would have to stay overnight in Houston.  Our new flight to Savannah was delayed and when we got there, we had no bags.  The lovely gate agents had forgotten to remark our bags for our new flight.  Oh and the flight our bags were supposed to be on the next day got cancelled.

So we arrived to Savannah feeling exhausted, gross, and we didn't have any of our belongings.  We went to Walmart to try and find a few things and the next day had to go to Target to get some clothes.  Nothing like being 20 weeks pregnant and not having all your stuff.  Needless to say, there were tears.
Thankfully the trip did get better.  We stayed at a bed and breakfast, which was a first for us, called the Hamilton-Turner Inn.  Each room is named after a famous citizen of Savannah and we were in the room named after Juliette Gordon Low, who founded the Girl Scouts.  The home was beautiful and breakfast was amazing.  They made a different dish every day and they were all good.

The Inn
Our room



Our view
The church across the street
Savannah is just as beautiful as you think it will be.  I loved the old trees and architecture.  My only complaint was that it was hot.  And not just hot, hot and humid.  Pregnant and sweaty was not a good look.  We went on a trolley tour of the city, which I highly recommend.  It helped us figure out what we wanted to see and it was hop on and off, so it helped us get around the city.

Tree-lined streets
Cute shops
Juliette Gordon Low's house
The old Cotton Exchange
Leopold's, which has some of the best ice cream in the country
There are lots of graveyards
Sadly, we did not see Paula
I loved this home
Cathedral of St. John the Baptist
Lafayette Square
The film set for the movie CBGB
We decided to go to Tybee Island since we had a rental car and Daniel loves the beach.  I imagine the beach is usually super nice, but it was very windy the day we went.  We saw lots of people being taken down by the waves.  We also saw a man who didn't quite understand the concept of boogie boarding.

It was a little rough
Whiteness
One of my favorite things about traveling is the food and since I was pregnant I decided that I could eat as much as I wanted.  So we ate a lot.  We had the best salad ever at Alligator Soul.  The croutons were grits that were breaded and fried.  Amazing.  We also had a lot of seafood which made me so happy.

I think we did a pretty good job of eating at all the top restaurants.  We waited in line for an hour or so to eat at Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House.  Supposedly they have the best fried chicken in the South.  Now, I know fried chicken and while it was good, it needed a little more flavor.  However, all the sides made the wait (and the sweating) worth while.  On a side note, just because you are pregnant does not mean anyone will offer you a place to sit while waiting in said line.  We also had ice cream at Leopold's.  The pistachio ice cream was delish.    

Lunch at the Crystal Beer Parlor
I love a BLT
Scallops at the Olde Pink House
Huge slices of pizza at Vinnie Van Go-Go's
He was excited
I should have taken a picture of the hellacious line
We loved Savannah!
I think Daniel made an excellent choice for our baby moon but I would like to go back in the fall when it isn't quite so hot and humid.

No comments:

Post a Comment