Friday, January 4, 2013

Can I get a hallelujah?

Yesterday I posted about our sleeping arrangement issues. It's not that Beckett doesn't sleep. He sleeps great. He usually can go five to eight hours at night between feedings. Our issue was that he only wanted to sleep if he was being held.

A friend commented on my post and advised me to start with naps and work our way up to nights. She also said to put him down and leave. That was just the advice I needed.

We had tried letting him cry it out once before but then I was informed by numerous people that he was too young. This time I decided to listen to my gut.

I swaddled him, put him in his crib, and walked away. I knew he would cry so I left the monitor off. Let me point out that our house is small enough that I can hear him from other rooms.  I not a terrible person, I swear.  He cried for eight minutes and then he was out. He slept for almost an hour.

Then we decided to go for broke.  We put him in his crib after feeding him at 11 and he slept in his crib until a little after 5.  I was in shock.  I was amazed.  I was quasi-rested.

Needless to say I was thanking the Lord and my friend that suggested just biting the bullet and doing what needed to be done.  Now we know that he can sleep in his crib.  He may cry a little but he will wake up happy and well-adjusted.  Yay for no permanent damage being done by a couple minutes of crying!

And now let me give a birthday shout out to my dad and Beckett's Pop Pop!  Happy birthday from the Browns!


1 comment:

  1. HOORAY for Beckett! I knew he could do it! Tell Beckett I'll give his Pop Pop a birthday hug for him tonight.

    ReplyDelete