Thursday, January 24, 2013

The big nursery reveal

The nursery is finally done!  And by done I mean I still need a few accessory-type items and to print pictures, but for the most part we are done.  For those that don't remember, here is what the nuresry looked like before.

I put a lot of thought into what I wanted the nursery to look like.  Since working with my friend Jennifer, I have started to really enjoy interior design.  Pinterest definitely helps but there is not a lot out there as far as boy nurseries.

I am not a theme type of gal.  I also knew that I didn't want anything to babyish.  I wanted a room that would grow with Beckett and items that we could reuse when we have another child.  Jennifer called it a sophisticated nursery and I totally agree.

We went back and forth about color scheme a lot.  At first I wanted to incorporate black houndstooth and thought maybe we should do red and black.  Eventually we settled on navy, red, and gray.  Jennifer was able to find a blue houndstooth, so that made me very happy.  I also love all things British so the new color scheme meant that I could incorporate Union Jacks and all things Britannia.

So without further ado, here is the finished product.  It was definitely a labor of love.

IMG_3517


IMG_3460

We wanted a daybed for when my sister and other family comes to visit.  I also thought it would be nice if we ever had a reason to sleep in the nursery.  Finding a white non-iron daybed is a job in itself but this will be Beckett's bed when he outgrows his crib.  We had euros the made and added embellishment to the brown pillows.  My sister-in-law found the union jack print I knew we had to have it.

IMG_3457

IMG_3530

IMG_3454

The changing table was originally a bookshelf.  We just added new shelves and reinforced them.  We had wanted to do wallpaper on the back wall but were unable to find any we liked so we used the fabric we had leftover from making panels.  The pennant was a decoration from my shower as was the diaper cake.  We decided to use the bottom shelf to store diapers and wipes which has been very handy.  I am still in love with the tiered organizer we keep all of our diaper change necessities in.  It gets a lot of use all day every day.

IMG_3532

IMG_3462


The "B" and pom poms are also from my shower.  We had the best shower hostesses and are so thankful that they bought decorations that we could use in the nursery.


IMG_3512

The crib is the first piece I bought for the nursery.  I knew I wanted white iron.  I have heard lots of stories about babies teething and chewing on wooden cribs and I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that would be ruined.  I also wanted to buy a crib that could be used in future nurseries.

Jennifer designed the bedding and it is perfect.  I searched just about every website I could find but there was no bedding for a boy that I liked.  It was either too feminine, too childish, or went with a theme.  Her design went with the color scheme and I think it is classic.  

IMG_3539

IMG_3468


We bought a wingback glider for feedings and book reading.  It is navy but we figure it can be reupholstered if we ever have a girl.  The legs also come off so it turns into a standard wingback chair.  It was important to me that we were able to reuse all of the big ticket items.

IMG_3551


IMG_3438

IMG_3443

Accessorizing the bookshelf has been a difficult task.  There is so much that I want to put on it but we only have a limited amount of space.  I wanted Marley and Jack to be in the room but I didn't want it to be in the form of a picture.  I also need artwork so I had silhouettes made of them.  The double decker is a piggy bank and the airplane is a vintage replica.

IMG_3476

And last but not least, Beckett's closet.  The boy has lots of clothes.

That is the nursery.  We love it and it has actually stayed pretty organized.  I hope it was the worth the wait!





5 comments:

  1. I love your nursery! I have to ask you where you got your bookshelf. My husband and I are looking for one for our baby girl's nursery, but haven't been able to find anything yet. Any help or suggestions you can give me would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We got the bookshelf from Home Decorators. It comes in different colors and was really well priced. They have lots of pieces that would work in a nursery!

      Delete
  2. This is adorable! (I am new to following your blog and just went back and read up.) You were an adorable pregnant lady and too cute of a mama! -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love looking at your blog! I wish I was craftier but your blog definitely inspires me to try.

      Delete
  3. Your nursery is sooo cute and it is very sophisticated!! What a lucky baby.

    ReplyDelete