Thursday, January 3, 2013

Two Month Check-up

We had our first experience with shots yesterday and let me just say, people, love your pediatrician and their staff. We love ours and it made a huge difference.

We were excited and nervous about this appointment. We were excited to see how big Beckett was and hear that he was on track. It's nice to get some validation that you don't suck as a parent. We were obviously not excited about shots. Daniel got asked to come along, just in case I lost it.

The good news is Beckett is growing on track and maybe we don't suck as parents. He measured 23 1/4 inches and weighed 10 pounds and 10 ounces which puts him in the 50th and 10th percentiles respectively. His head measured 15 inches which is in the 5th percentile. He is long and lean.

He is also on track with his development. He is tracking things and people with his eyes and smiles. He is also super strong and can do mini push ups on his activity mat.

The one area we need improvement in is our sleeping arrangements. Beckett is not a lover of the crib. In fact, he only really likes sleeping if he is being held. Every once in a while he will nap in a Nap Nanny and he has even napped twice in his crib, but come night time, he's not having it. I will gladly take any advice on this topic. I plan on watching Happiest Baby on the Block this afternoon because we got to experience an hour of on and off crying before we threw in the towel last night. My neves are still shot.

Speaking of shots, he got three and an oral for rotavirus. He hated it all. He tried to spit out the vaccination for rotavirus and screamed with the shots, but that was expected. Thankfully our doctor had us give him Tylenol before and the nurse was quick. They also let us stay in the exam room got as long as we needed.

We go back in two months for his four month check-up and more shots! At least next time we will know what we are getting ourselves into.

Beckett pre-shots

6 comments:

  1. The picture is so cute! Way to go Beckett, we all knew you were a superstar :) now time to let mommy and daddy sleep. I would work on naps during the day in the crib, don't rock him just put him in there awake when he is ready. Once the naps are mastered you can work on the night time. I think it's easier for the crying to commence during the day because you know it's just for a little bit and not all night long. Just don't go in there once you've put him down, he's a strong big boy and he will be ok. (And it's ok to continually stare at and listen to the monitor.) a crib soother too is great we put Emma down turned on her baby Einstein crib thing and she knew that's the indicator for quiet time/nap time and we still do it to this day. He will love looking at all of the lights and colors too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I texted you, but let me just say one more time... THANK YOU for the advice! It worked and we are all much happier because of it.

      Delete
  2. I just can't get over how cute this kid is! I may be partial but I beleive he's the cutest baby ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just waiting for the Gap to call and ask if he can baby model for them. Lord knows we could use the discount.

      Delete
  3. I love the picture he is SUPER cute and growing so big! I agree with Erica...my boys were not great sleepers when they were little, who am I kidding, THEY DID NOT SLEEP!! I believe that alot of it was my fault, I always would get up when they fussed and nurse them...not a great habit to get into it. I LOVE to read...let me re-phrase that prekids I loved to read, can't find time for that now!! Anyways, everyone swears by BabyWise I read it and I do think it was good, but my kids have ALWAYS fallen asleep nursing therefore we missed that entire self soothe step. I also read Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Baby...I LOVED this and it helped me in soooo many stages of the boys sleeping. With all of that being said, my boys both sleep and nap well and have for sometime. I was not one of those moms that had their kid sleeping through the night at 2 months, but I wouldn't change much of what we did. Remember this us just a season in his little life and before you know it you will be on to the next! He will sleep...PROMISE!! You are doing a GREAT job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel's solution to him crying is that he needs to be nursed but thankfully he usually sleeps through the night. I definitely need to remember that he goes through seasons just like I do. I think this is a hard time for babies. He is more alert and wants to play but there are so many things he still has to learn how to do. I think he gets a little frustrated. Plus he has been fighting going to sleep. It's a bad combination. We were successful last night so hopefully we are headed in the right direction.

      Delete