Monday, October 8, 2012

The name game

Naming a baby is a lot harder than I thought it would be.  First, you have to consider another person's suggestions which is hard when you have been naming your future children since you were in pre-school.  Second, by the time you have children there are lots of names you can't use because they remind you of certain people.  Finally, this child will be stuck with this name for the rest of their life so you don't want anything too crazy or trendy.

Thankfully, Daniel and I had agreed on a name for a boy and a girl before we were ever pregnant.  I guess when it takes two years to get pregnant, you have a lot of time to think about these things.  We were convinced we were having a girl, so we were set.  Then we found out Baby Brown is a boy and while we had picked a first name, we couldn't quite agree on a middle name.

After much debate we finally agreed on a first and middle name.  Then we had to decide if we wanted to tell people.  We decided to tell family and close friends but that was it.  Lots of people had told us to wait until he was here to even announce a name because people love to share their opinions.  We also didn't want someone else in our small town to use the name.

However, we are finally ready to share.  So without further ado, Baby Brown's name is...

beckett.

I have loved this name since probably 2007 and thankfully Daniel liked it a lot too.  I am a big fan of using last names as first names but unfortunately, my maiden name is not a name I would wish on a child.  I think I was watching a baseball game and Josh Beckett was pitching when I had an epiphany that Beckett would be a very cute name for a boy.  We also liked that it wasn't a very common name but it wasn't out there either.

oliver.

We had a harder time deciding on a middle name.  If we had a girl, we had planned on using a family name from Daniel's side for her middle name so I thought maybe we should use a family name from my side.  We threw a lot of ideas out there but I really liked Oliver.  It was my mom's dad's name and I knew it would mean a lot to her.  When we told her we were thinking about using it she cried so we were pretty much locked in.


So Baby Brown's name is officially Beckett Oliver Brown.   We both really love the name and have actually only had positive feedback. 
 

3 comments:

  1. Finally! I was hoping you would post his name! Yes everyone has their opinions but screw them all! The only ones that matter are yours and Daniels....well and your moms! But other than that, as long as you guys are happy!
    Grandpa Ollie would be so honored! I think that is awesome! Congrats and they will be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and my mom pointed out that his initials will be BOB! I LOVE IT! Makes it easy to remember! So I will have ABC and you will have BOB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to meet my little buddy Beckett Oliver so soon!!!

    ReplyDelete