Monday, March 5, 2012

Cliffhanger

I really try to think out of the box for our date nights, but this can be incredibly challenging when you live in rural West Texas. But sometimes Groupon can make it a little easier. A couple months ago they offered a coupon for rock climbing at Amarillo's Rock Climbing House and I thought that it would be a fun way to shake it up and get a workout in.

We channeled our inner Sylvester Stallones and headed out in the very cold and a little snowy weather. I am going to be perfectly honest. I did not think rock climbing was going to be very hard. I mean you have a harness and it requires just little bit of upper body strength.

I was wrong. We did not have time to take the belay class which would have allowed us to use harnesses. Instead we just climbed. Within a half hour of climbing, I was over it. It didn't help that I am super scared of heights and those walls are tall. Instead of climbing down, I jumped. I'm sure that was great for my knees and back.

We also learned an important lesson. You now how there are those douche bags at the gym who want to tell you everything you're doing wrong. They also exist in the rock climbing world. Some guy kept telling me that I just needed to go for it. I wanted to say, "Hey asshole, thanks for stating the obvious." It's hard to be charming when you are scared out of your mind but he shouldn't go into motivational speaking anytime soon.

Looking past the douche bags and the sore arms and the raw hands, we had fun. Rock climbing is hard. Next time we go, we will be taking the belay class. Then I can look legit in my gear. And isn't that what's really important?


He showed me up


Can you tell he grew up in the country?


I did a lot of hanging out on the wall


The belay wall


What do you do after working out to the point of blisters? You eat. We went to a yogurt shop that is very popular with the kids. Most of the yogurt was fat-free, so I didn't feel quite so bad. The toppings aren't fat-free, but that didn't stop me from loading up. I always say that I can't eat that much yogurt, but oddly I always find a way. I call that endurance.


My creation


These fools got to come too and get groomed


So that was our February date night. This month we are going out to dinner and then to a play. Hopefully my husband doesn't walk out. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment