Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's cooking, good looking?

In addition to Facebook shopping and auctions, I am officially obsessed with cooking classes. You learn some tricks and get to eat a fabulous meal. This my friends is what we call a win-win. I am constantly on Hubbell and Hudson's website looking for new classes to take. Currently I am praying for a New England clam bake/lobster roll themed class. How amazing would that be?

The latest class we took was a "Seafood Date Night" theme. The chefs told us about it in September and it took almost six months to be able to get into the class. They are becoming very popular in the 281/713.

We made a relish tower with a jumbo lump crab salad, lobster risotto, lobster tails, broccolini and citrus-glazed scallops. Everything was so good and I love that you learn some tricks during the class. Did you know that you should sear scallops on each side for 2-3 minutes and then stick them in the oven for another 2-3 minutes? This helps cook the scallops all the way through because raw scallops are nasty. Life changing.

We also learned the correct way to make risotto, which is something I have always wanted to learn how to make. It is a little intimidating, but it really only requires patience. I have been lifting weights, no big deal, so I knew my guns were ready to do some stirring.

My one piece of advice is to maybe take the class with a group of four people. There are usually four people to a station and just like there are jerks at rock climbing facilities, there are jerks in cooking class. We had a couple of know-it-alls and I was very thankful that I wasn't in their group. The chefs keep the wine flowing which is very helpful when you have people like that in your class.

Our book of recipes

Chef Wallace

Crab and avocado salad with a relish tower

3 cups of clarified butter (shout out Paula Deen!) and the lobster tails

Risotto after 30 minutes of stirring

Scallops and a citrus glaze

The finished product

Blood orange and honey sorbet

Pistachio gelato because one dessert is never enough



My mom and I are taking a class full of recipes inspired by The Help in June. I love fried chicken so I am excited to learn how to make it for myself. I am a little worried that this knowledge might lead me down the wrong path to Jessica Simpson-ville. I'll just have to practice some self-control. If you live in the Houston area you should look up the classes at Hubbell and Hudson. They are a little expensive, but they are definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment