Monday, March 26, 2012

Recipe round-up: healthy edition

I have been trying to slim down for summer and improve my eating habits in general. I love fried food in an unhealthy way. I would fry just about anything. I am not a big sweets eater but I am a dedicated carb lover. This is not good for my waistline. So I have been searching Pinterest for recipes that will help me meet my summer goals. Here are my reviews on what to try and what to skip.



Broccoli and Italian Sausage Egg Muffins


This recipe is super easy to whip up during the week. I give it a solid A and will definitely make it again. A shortcut I would try next time is to use a steam bag of broccoli instead of trying to sauté the broccoli. This would save time and the broccoli would be even more tender. I refrigerated the leftovers and we had breakfast for the rest of the week. Next time, I think I'll try spinach.



Pesto Pasta with Chicken Sausage and Roasted Brussels Sprouts


I am not going to lie and say that I love Brussels sprouts because they are definitely not my favorite. This recipe actually made me like them a little more. I give it an A-. It has vegetables, starches, and protein all in one dish. It was very easy to make and is the perfect dish for a weeknight meal.



Shrimp Quesadillas with Tomato Avocado


I love shrimp and I love avocados so I thought this recipe was a match made in heaven. I have made a few recipes from Skinnytaste and really enjoyed them. This recipe ended that streak. I would give it a D. It was super bland and I just don't think that any recipe can make low carb tortillas taste good. If someone knows of amazing low carb tortillas, please share. They tasted like cardboard and made me sad I wasted my shrimp and avocados.



Buffalo Chicken Bites


This recipe was another fail and I had really high hopes for it. It sounded like such a great idea. Who doesn't want to eat a healthier version of buffalo chicken wings? I think it was the corn flakes that ruined it for me. They tasted out of place and didn't make sense. I give it a C and think I'll be sticking to my fatty wings.



Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin


I am not sure how healthy this recipe actually is, but it is a vegetable so I am letting it count. I give this a B because it was good but I'm not sure that is that great for you. It definitely did not replace twice baked mashed potato casserole in my heart, but it is a nice alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment