Monday, August 20, 2012

Costa Brava and Girona

While we were in Barcelona, I thought it would be nice to get out of the city and explore the area.  We decided to go on a day trip to Costa Brava and Girona.  My parents had been to Costa Brava before and really liked it.

Our tour guide was a little nuts.  Supposedly Gisele Bundchen had hit on him in front of her husband, who he insisted was not Tom Brady.  Uh, I knows my celebrity gossip and I know for a fact that the only husband she has ever had is Tom Brady.  He also met Shakira and had lots of other interesting stories.  Oh and he smoked pot.  In front of us.  I don't have a problem with people smoking pot but I do have a little issue when they are driving the car I am riding in.

Thankfully there was an older couple on the tour with us and they were super nice.  They had been everywhere.  They had been on safari.  Last year they went to Thailand.  They had been to a place in Morocco where the goats climb trees (which was promptly added to my trip list because that I have to see).  I hope one day Daniel and I are as well traveled as they were.

Our first stop was a beach in Costa Brava.  It was beautiful but so cold.  I was thanking my lucky stars that I had purchased a winter coat at Zara earlier in the week.  There is no way I would have survived that trip without it.

After getting some food at a cafe, we went to Pals.  Pals is a very well preserved medieval town and is definitely full of tourists.  There were amazing views of the countryside from the church, so it was worth the stop. 

The beach
The hill we hiked.  Tory Burch flats are not meant for hiking.
The view from the top of the hill
Looking back at the town
A cute little beach town
It was as cold as it looks
Sailboat races
All the sails

A courtyard in Pals
Another courtyard
I love how well the town was preserved
Cobblestone streets
The view from Pals
The countryside and the beach
Our last stop was Girona.  We ate lunch at a traditional restaurant.  I'm not going to lie, I have not loved meat this pregnancy and I most certainly wasn't loving it at 10 weeks.  The restaurant served a lot of meat.  The one highlight was a salad with warm goat cheese which was from heaven.  Daniel totally wasted his, which was devastating.

After lunch, we explored the city.  Girona has a Jewish ghetto which has been preserved.  We got to experience a leery, drunk homeless man, which was super exciting.  He was just a little creepy.  We walked around for a while, but to be honest by this point I was cold and tired and wanted to go back to Barcelona.  Traveling while pregnant is kind of like being on a roller coaster.  

Bridge in Girona
In the Jewish ghetto
Where there are lots of stairs
The cathedral in Girona
A mix of architecture
The view from the church

The old city walls
I will say that even though I froze, I was glad we got out of Barcelona and explored a little more of Spain.  I can see why so many people love that area so much and why it is so popular for holidays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment