Monday, June 11, 2012

barcelona: day one

Our travel day to Barcelona was a little bumpy to say the least so I was praying that our first full day would go a little more smoothly.  I had signed us up for a cooking class (shocking, right?) where we were to learn how to make a traditional Spanish meal and tour La Boqueria.  After getting lost while looking for where we were supposed to meet for our class, things started to go a little more smoothly.

I will say that the weather was not on our side during our vacation.  We went to Paris around the same time last year and it was hot, so I figured Spain would be even hotter.  I was wrong.  I packed for summer and it was still very much early spring in Spain.  This led to a breakdown towards the end of our trip.  I was pregnant, tired and really tired of being cold.

Breakfast was bread with tomato, ham, and fruit.  I could eat the first two all day.

Our class started at La Boqueria, which is the most famous market in Barcelona.  I am in love.  I love seeing all the fresh produce, meat, and other fun goodies.  I just really love food so anywhere that pretty much celebrates all types of food is heaven in my eyes.

The market entrance on La Rambla
Meat!
Fresh vegetables
And more vegetables
All this stall sold was bananas from the Canary Islands
I never knew this many mushrooms existed
Queso
Lots and lots of chocolate
Fresh fish
You can't tell but a lot of this seafood was still moving
Lobsterfest
Colorful chiles
Shout out, Miley!
The famous jamón de bellota
More meat

These are just a few of the pictures I took.  La Boqueria was definitely my favorite place.  My advice is to go early.  Later in the afternoon it gets so full of tourists that you can't move.  Tomorrow I'll post about the actual cooking class.  

No comments:

Post a Comment