Wednesday, June 20, 2012

boy or girl?

I think everyone realizes that there are a million ways that you can supposedly determine the gender of your baby.  I thought it would be fun to look up some old wives' tales and see what they said we were having and if they were right.  This is totally just for fun and I realize that there is no science behind any of this.


Old Wives' Tale #1: How You Are Carrying the Baby

So this old wives tale says that if you are carrying the baby high, it's a girl and if you are carrying it low, it's boy.

Verdict: Girl - I am definitely carrying this child high.

 Old Wives' Tale #2: The Baby's Heartbeat

I think this may be the most common old wives tale.  If your baby's heartbeat is above 140 beats per minute, you are having a girl.  If the heartbeat if below 140 beats per minute, you are having a boy.

Verdict: Girl - The heartbeat has been in the 150s to 170s on every sonogram.

Old Wives' Tale #3: What Are You Craving?

If you crave sweet things, it's a girl.  If you crave sour foods, it's a boy.

Verdict: Girl - I have never had a sweet tooth until now.  I am loving ice cream and candy.

Old Wives' Tale #4: Chinese Gender Chart

This is another common way people try to predict your baby's gender.  It uses the mother's age at conception and month of conception to determine the baby's sex.

Verdict: Boy or Girl - The gender predictor that asks for age and month of conception say the baby is a girl but the ones that ask for actual dates say boy.

Old Wives' Tale #5: Evens or Odds

This test also looks at the mother's age at conception and the year of conception.  If both are even or odd, you are having a girl.  If one is even and the other is odd, you are having a boy.

Verdict: Boy - I am 27 and it's 2012.

Old Wives' Tale #6: Acne

If you have tons of breakouts, you can blame it on the hormones of your baby girl.  This goes along with the theory that baby girls steal their mom's beauty so if you look rough, you are having a girl.

Verdict: Girl - Hello, acne face.

Old Wives' Tale #7: Put a Ring on It

You tie your wedding ring to a string and hang it over your belly.  If the ring swings in a circle, you are having a boy.  If it swings back and forth, you are having a girl.


Verdict: Boy or Girl - It did a little of both.

Old Wives' Tale #8: Morning Sickness

This another super common question I get asked when people want to tell me what I am having.  If you have morning sickness, you are expecting a girl.  If not, you are expecting a boy.

Verdict: Boy - I have had zero morning sickness and I am very thankful.

Old Wives' Tale #9: Take a Quiz

I found this quiz which asks a bunch of questions based on old wives' tales.  It asks about a lot of things above (morning sickness, how you are carrying the baby, and so on).

Verdict: Girl - I got a score of 73% for a girl.

So it looks like Baby Brown should be a girl if we go by all of this.  The good news is that we don't have to wait long to find out.  And since we are talking babies, here are a few more pictures because who doesn't like baby pictures?  Oh right, usually people that aren't in the pictures but I'm going to share anyways.
Daniel was like a tiny country Rambo

It's like I've always known my left side was my good side

1 comment:

  1. Fingers crossed that the baby's legs are not! :) By the way...I had no morning sickness with you or your sister...and you both were quite obviously girls!

    ReplyDelete