Wednesday, June 27, 2012

barcelona: day two

I don't think I have said yet how much I loved Barcelona.  I really enjoyed our time there.  The city is easy to navigate and the people are super laid back.  Almost everyone spoke English or could understand my broken Spanish and the food was amazing.


We went back to La Boqueria for breakfast.  The Spanish aren't so big on breakfast which was extremely difficult since I am three square type of girl.  Being nine weeks pregnant did not help the situation.  I had a very small window from when I realized I was hungry to feeling like I was about to melt down.




Moving on, we scheduled a motorcycle tour for the afternoon of our second day so decided to spend the morning exploring the Sagrada Familia.  The Sagrada Familia is a church and one of Barcelona's most famous landmarks.  Construction on the church started in 1882 and it's still not complete, hence the cranes.  We went on a Saturday and there were crews working.  Gaudi designed the church and there is symbolism everywhere.

The side of the church


The crucifixion 

Stained glass


The cross above the altar

The altar form the back of the church

Looking up

Carvings cover almost the entire facade 

Newer construction and older construction

Nativity

Joseph, Mary, and Jesus
We went early and didn't have to wait in a super long line, which is my advice to anyone going.  After we finished, I got to shop.  The two main items on my shopping list were a pink blazer and a red maxi skirt.  I found both.  I also bought the best purchase of the trip, a lined utility coat at Zara.  Spain is cold.  I don't care what people say, it is.  I didn't pack jackets and I'm not sure why I decided that I needed one since it was fairly warm, but that jacket saved my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment