Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cooking class for two

We all know that I love a cooking class and I try to attend one every time I come home. This time I planned a trip around around a cooking class. I needed a break from the Panhandle and since I am not technically working, I have nothing but time on my hands.  As much as I love cooking classes, I might love fried chicken even more. It is my favorite food and the only meal I ask my mother-in-law to cook for me on my birthday so a class featuring this intimidating dish was like a match made in heaven.

A lot of the cooking classes at Hubbell and Hudson sell out quickly and the class we took, which was southern recipes inspired by the movie "The Help", was no exception.  My mom and I patiently waited for a new class to be listed and then we jumped on it and I planned my escape.

Fried chicken is a dish that has always been super intimidating.  There is the fact that you can easily ruin the dish by overheating or underheating the oil.  Then the actual act of frying is full of danger.  Finally, you have to make sure the chicken is actually cooked through.  That's a lot, so I was happy to have a chef walk me through the process.


The line-up

The final verdict is that fried chicken doesn't have to be impossible to make at home.  I decided that a thermometer for the oil is essential.  This easily tells you if you are getting too hot or too cold.  A gas range doesn't hurt either.  I also learned that if you place the chicken in the oil moving away from your body, you are less likely to get popped.

The finished product

Minny's chocolate pie minus any crazy ingredients

My next goal is to recreate this meal at home (minus the macaroni and cheese because our family recipe is way better).  Everything was delicious and seemed easy enough, but that may be because all the ingredients were pre-prepared.  I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment