Friday, July 20, 2012

R is for remodel (+ a dog update)

We made it 7 months without doing any work to our house, but that break has come to an end.  We are remodeling the room that we will be using as the nursery and doing some work to the hallway as well.

Daniel had suggested adding a linen closet a long time ago and I vetoed the idea.  Then when I got pregnant I  had the best idea ever, let's add a linen closet.  I guess I needed to feel like it was my idea.  Old houses are definitely tight on storage and we had been using every closet in the house.  Well now the baby will need his own closet so we had to do something with all of our junk.  We decided to add a linen cabinet on either side of our guest bath because the closets in those room are actually really big and we felt like we could lose some space without too much sacrifice.

The current hallway (please note that room was completely cleaned out before this project started)
Looking into what will be the nursery
What we are currently working with
In addition to adding the cabinets we are raising the ceiling, changing out the laminate flooring for wood, painting and redoing the trim.  We are slowly but surely making all the rooms in the house work together and I think the end is in sight.

Once the hallway is done and we can move some things around we will be ready to start on the nursery.  What we are doing in the nursery, I am not sure.  We still are undecided but I think we have a color scheme in mind.  The nursery will be getting new carpet, trim and paint and then we will be ready for business.

I am dying to be done with all of these projects.  I think I can trick myself into feeling prepared.  Plus we have been blessed by our brother and sister-in-law with lots and lots of baby clothes from their boys and we need somewhere to put it all.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is a quick project and that the nursery decorating goes smoothly.  I'll keep you updated.


We added two sets of linen cabinets

No more floor or baseboards

Symmetry is hard to achieve in old houses

A Brown dog update:

We have been able to visit Jack everyday and it is amazing to see how quickly he regained a positive attitude.  I know if I had been through what he has, I would be a little sour.  I feel like I can learn a few things from him.  He has a lot of bruising but his swelling has gone down and he is eating and drinking more everyday.  He will have to been able to eat a regular amount of food and be able to stay hydrated without any adverse reactions before he can come home.  We are hoping that he will be released at the beginning of next week.  We won't be able to see him this weekend, which stinks, but hopefully he will continue to improve.  Marley is also doing very well.  She has started putting weight back on her foot and has regained her normal not-so-positive attitude.  To say she is basking in all the attention would be an understatement.  Hopefully by this time next week our house will be back to normal.  Thank you for all of your prayers and kind words!  This has definitely been a test but I think we have learned a lot.  

3 comments:

  1. I am glad both your pups are doing well!
    I cant wait to see what you have in store for the nursery! We just finished Arya's room (still waiting to get the crib) but it was like a huge weight off of me! I love walking in there. Good luck with all the projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We should make a decision about the nursery here in the near future. Hopefully our hallway project will be done this week so we can move on to the next room. You should post picture of Arya's room on Facebook!

      Delete
  2. I will prob post pics once we get her crib. I am hoping to have it by mid August. My in-laws are buying it and bringing it over for us!

    ReplyDelete